Wednesday 11 December 2013

Week 25: The Elusive Plough Stop

This is going to be a short one as I'm writing this 3 - 4 weeks after it happened and my mind's a little fuzzy (it's coming up to Christmas so I'm getting distracted!) but I did learn something interesting at this particular  week's practice so I am going to mention that!

As you're well aware, I'm pretty sure everyone is aware, that I cannot do plough stops to save my life! I feel like I'm putting my legs wide but I then look and they've hardly moved, I feel like my ankles are going to break from the weird angle and then look and they've hardly moved. I must admit, they have got better - I do roll to a stop now rather than keep going!

This week, however, I was told some interesting advice that hadn't even crossed my mind. I was told that if you tend to skate with your knees bent inward (so most of your weight on the inside edges) you haven't built up the muscles that make it easier to push out onto the outside edges. Suddenly, it clicked that I do skate with my knees pointing inwards but had just never really paid much attention to it. So now, I am trying to have a more balanced skating stance, trying not to bend my knees inward and, when I work out, focus on putting my weight on the outside of my feet when doing squats. I don't know if it's going to help, but I'm up for trying anything that might help me do plough stops!

(Except maybe these!)

No comments:

Post a Comment