Monday 3 June 2013

Allow Me To Intoduce Myself.

Well hey!
Welcome to my humble blog!
I'm a Fresh Meat Roller Derby Skater and for those of you who don't know what Roller Derby is then where have you been?!
Just for you, though, I'll provide you with a quick snippet from Wikipedia:

"Roller derby is a contact sport played by two teams of five members roller skating in the same direction around a track. Game play consists of a series of short matchups ("jams") in which both teams designate a scoring player (the "jammer") who scores points by lapping members of the opposing team. The teams attempt to assist their own jammer whilst hindering the opposing jammer—in effect, playing both offense and defense simultaneously. Roller derby is played by approximately 1,250 amateur leagues worldwide, nearly half of them outside the U.S"

I do encourage you to check it out - it's awesome!

Now, when I say "fresh meat" I mean I'm a complete newbie. It essentially means that I haven't been signed off on my minimum skills and so I can't actually skate in a game or referee I can be a NSO, though (A non-skating official.)
I decided I was going to start a blog as I started really fresh. I had never skated before in my life. (Well that's not entirely true; I had skates when I was about 6 but my parents said they tightened the bearings so much that I hardly rolled in order to prevent me from falling over, which apparently I did. A lot. So I choose not to count this as experience!) I did a lot of research in my first few weeks and found a lot of blogs really helpful and reassuring, so I decided that if I found other people's experiences helpful then somebody might find mine helpful too!

I decided to write this blog round about my third week but my fifth has now passed and I'm only just writing my introduction... (I have changed the post dates so they correspond with the the week I'm writing about. I think it will give a better idea of the time span I was learning in. By week six, though, I will be writing a post on time every week.)


So, join me on my journey through derbyhood and lets enjoy some laughs and, more than likely, some tears too!

No comments:

Post a Comment